Home 9 About 9 Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

In the event of a medical emergency, calling 9-1-1 should typically be the first priority. An exception would be if an immediate action could be safely taken that would improve a person’s chances for survival. An example of this would be to remove a child submerged in water.

When calling 9-1-1, be prepared to verify your location. If available, a landline offers advantages over a cell phone as it automatically provides the 9-1-1 operator with the address you are calling from. Based on the nature of the emergency, the 9-1-1 operator may provide you with instructions for assisting the patient prior to Clayton County Fire & Emergency Services arrival. This may include direction on how to perform CPR or something as simple as rolling the patient on their side.

Once any pre-arrival instructions are complete, take action that may assist the Fire Department with finding you. This may be turning on a porch light or having someone meet the CCFES crew outside and direct them to the patient’s location. Lastly, remember 9-1-1 is for emergencies.

What is my insurance rating for my home?

All citizens protected by Clayton County Fire & Emergency services in unincorporated Clayton County and the cities of Lovejoy & Jonesboro, have a class 1 ISO rating.

What is the nearest fire hydrant or fire station to my home?

We encourage citizens to find alternative solutions to problems such as a cat in the tree, keys locked in a car, or power outages. The 911 center dispatches public safety personnel to emergency situations. In most cases, those personnel cannot assist with the problems mentioned above.

When insurance companies ask for this information it is usually sufficient to tell them that our Fire Department has an ISO rating of 1. This lets them know that we meet a minimum standard and hydrants are typically within 500 feet of all residences. All fire stations are also all within a rated minimum distance in accordance with this rating.

Can the Fire Department inspect or install my child car safety seat?

CCFES is not currently certified to perform this service.  You can call the Clayton County Health Department at (678) 479-2226 for more information about their Safe Kids program.

Does the Fire Department offer CPR/AED classes?

Yes, for information on CPR/AED Classes please fill out our CPR/AED registration form.  You may also visit the Red Cross web site to view their training opportunities, or call them at (404) 876-3302, option 3.

How big of a fire distinguisher do I need in my home?

We recommend a minimum 1A2BC rated extinguisher.

What is the best type of smoke detector?

One that has an Underwriters Laboratory, Factory Mutual, or Underwriters Laboratory of Canada rating.

What should I do if someone is burning in my neighborhood?

To report illegal or bothersome burning call 911 and a unit will be dispatched to check out the situation.

How do I request a construction inspection by the Fire Marshal's office?

Inspection Requests are made online through this web site. See the Plan Review page for more details.

How do I apply for a job at Clayton County Fire & Emergency Services?

Check the Clayton County employment page for openings and view our recruitment page for specific employment requirements.

What do I need to do to get a report for a call?

CCFES completes an incident report for every call.  This report is available as a public record. For EMS calls a Patient Care Report (PCR) is also completed.  This report is HIPAA protected and only available within those limitations.  For more details refer to our reports page.

Clayton County Fire & Emergency Services
7810 Highway 85
Riverdale GA. 30274


Submit a Question